In 1990, just for fun, I came up with a list of “Things I Like.” Not surprisingly, ‘a nice cup of tea’ and ‘telling a joke well’ made the list.
Before the year was over, I’d considered that list and decided I needed to write another list of “Things I Need” (relationally). What I learned about writing and reviewing that list over time was that I was the one mostly responsible for making sure my relational needs were met. If I looked at it any other way, I felt like a victim.
Now, somewhat belatedly, I’m convinced another list is in order. A more important list, and probably not complete, I name “Things I Believe.” After all, I’m a Believer.
For what’s it’s worth, here it is. And the only items on the list I could say are in order of importance are perhaps #1 and #2.
2. I believe everything Jesus said about Himself and that I am, because of my belief, now crucified with Him, reconciled to God, filled with the Holy Spirit, and will spend eternity with Him when He returns.
3. I believe there is a purpose in my life and that this purpose is to please God, however He defines His pleasure.
4. I believe the various experiences of my life–trials and joys, no matter when they happened–God is even now using to further His kingdom.
5. I believe in the intrinsic value of every human being.
6. I believe in the power of prayer.
7. I believe God speaks to people in a variety of ways and His purpose for speaking is for His glory to be shown in the world.
8. I believe there is an enemy in the world named Satan and that it is possible to be deceived by him as well as it is possible to stand against him with the power of God’s word and prayer.
9. I believe that there is a cost in loving as God commanded, but as we risk according to God’s definition of love, our relationships with Him become deeper. We are healed and our relationships with others become healthier.
10. I believe that my beliefs can and will affect my behavior.
Bonus belief: I believe that Numbers 1 and 2 are the basic foundation for the rest of the beliefs listed.